Not in Hong Kong?
Choose another country to see content specific to your region.
Edit Content
Help with a new licence?
Call +852 3596 5857
Support for existing customers?
Call +852 3596 5857


Your questions answered

We’re here for you…

Filter by Category
Select all
Do I need a licence if…..
Enforcement and legal issues
How licences work

Top Questions

  • We show films and programmes that we’ve purchased on DVD or accessed through our pay TV or online streaming service subscription. Do we still need a licence to view or show it in public?
    Yes. The location requires a licence regardless of who owns the content. While you may have rented, borrowed, or purchased an audiovisual program, you are only granted the right to view it for personal, private use, not to perform it in public.…
  • We don’t charge admission. Do we still need a licence?
    Yes. A licence is required regardless of whether an admission fee is charged. In fact, the Umbrella Licence only covers those situations where admission is not charged.…
  • We’re a non-profit organization. Do we still need a licence?
    Yes. Under Hong Kong's Copyright Ordinance, a public performance licence is generally required for both non-profit and for-profit organisations, except for certain limited and narrowly prescribed conditions.…
  • How much does the Umbrella Licence cost?
    In most cases, the MPLC has set licence fees based on the type and size of facility. However, if the facility and/or use falls outside of these categories, the fee will be based on the nature and size of the audience and anticipated frequency of showings.…
  • Does a preschool qualify for an instructional exemption?
    We acknowledge the educational exemption for unintentional infringement in certain cases. However, we strongly encourage entities to demonstrate their respect for intellectual property rights and recognize the efforts of content creators by actively participating in our Umbrella Licence® scheme. We …
  • We show films on our closed-circuit system. Do we need a licence?
    Yes. Exhibition of audiovisual works via closed-circuit transmissions are considered public performances. Any non-advertiser supported channels or services also require a license.…
  • We’re not open to the general public. Do we still need a licence?
    Yes. Even if guests are limited to members-only, any location outside of the home is considered public for copyright purposes and requires a licence.…
  • We rent out our facility to other groups. Can we be liable for copyright infringement?
    Yes. The facility owner can be held liable as a secondary infringer. …